Saturday, April 24, 2010

What it takes to be 'Virender Sehwag' aka 'Viru'?

Source : cricinfo


Virender Sehwag, recently won ESPNCricinfo Award for 'Best ODI Batsman' and 'Best Test Batting Performance', for his 293 against Sri Lanka in Mumbai. The article on cricinfo about his innings of 293 tells you what can Viru do to a team. In that innings the longest he went without a boundary was 12 balls. To quote one more stat from cricinfo, 'of the 593 balls he faced in ODIs in 2009, he scored 810 runs'.

Now anybody who knows something about cricket, can tell that he seems to be super natural. No mortal can do this. But how does Viru (definitely a mortal) achieve this feat? What is it that enables him to defy logic and give such spectacular performances? I think the secret lies in his uncluttered mind.

He has a very clear cut approach. I'll just quote a few of his statements that show his mindset :
I don’t have a game plan when I walk into bat. I like to keep my mind blank.

"When I take guard I like to clear all the negative thoughts out of the mind first. That I do by singing a song or a bhajan [hymn]."

I think that this is a very important trait of fearless achievers. He is able to give such spectacular performances because he is not afraid of failing. He can hit a six to reach his century (or double or triple century for that matter), because he is not afraid of missing out on a century. He does not care about records. Even the GOD of cricket, Sachin, gets a bit tentative on approaching a century, even after scoring 93 centuries, but Viru is always unfazed. This is not to discredit Sachin in any manner. It is just that, Viru has a different mindset. And I think that makes him so special.

Once again as Viru aptly puts it:
"Half empty or half full. A cover-drive for four or disaster. Praise will come when you do well. So, be prepared for brickbats when you fail. You are learning from both. Success prepares me well for the failures."

If you want to describe him in one word, it will definitely be 'Viru', which aptly justifies his character, brave and fearless.


1 comment:

Santosh said...

Nice one ...i also likes the Viru's game :)